Other Legal Services

Jorge L. Gonzalez has extensive business and individual litigation experience, and has the skill needed to help your or your business successfully manage legal challenges, and take advantage of opportunities.

His comprehensive business law practice includes advice and representation for issues involving:

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney is a legal document that gives someone you choose the power to act in your place. In case you ever become mentally incapacitated, you’ll need what are known as “durable” powers of attorney for medical care and finances. A durable power of attorney simply means that the document stays in effect if you become incapacitated and unable to handle matters on your own.

With a valid power of attorney, the trusted person you name will be legally permitted to take care of important matters for you -- for example, paying your bills, managing your investments, or directing your medical care -- if you are unable to do so yourself. Taking the time to make these documents is well worth the small effort it will take. If you haven’t made durable powers of attorney and something happens to you, your loved ones may have to go to court to get the authority to handle your affairs.

To cover all of the issues that matter to you, you’ll probably need two separate documents: one that addresses health care issues and another to take care of your finances. Fortunately, powers of attorney usually aren’t difficult to prepare.

<<Go to top>>


In the common law, a will or testament is a document by which a person, called the testator, regulates the rights of others over his or her property or family at death. However, people can also do living wills. People use Living Wills or Advance Directives to direct their medical care when they become unable to do it for themselves. The purpose is to avoid conflicts, confusion, and lack of information about the patient’s preferences when a crisis arises. The Living Will can (1) guide the care, (2) name someone to substitute for you in decision making or (3) both. The substitute decision maker is called “a proxy decision maker.” Since living wills involves medical decisions, and the legal part of making one is easier than the medical part, consider to make a living will with a doctor and a lawyer.

The medical part is about what you might want in the way of care when, due to illness or injury, you are unable to do it yourself. It can direct many options in many situations. You may direct that doctors try all reasonable, life-saving care. You may direct that your doctors make you comfortable and ease your dying. You may direct that they make some attempts to save you but also restrict which ones or for how long. You may allow or forbid other things of interest to you (being in research). The legal idea behind Living Wills is that people have a right to chose or refuse care when they are “competent.” They are not supposed to lose their rights after becoming incapacitated. Thus, they need a way to direct the exercise of their rights when they cannot do it. That is the “Living Will”. Thus a Living Will should describe your thinking about when you want and when you reject kinds of care in different circumstances. Some states set very high standards of evidence before allowing a patient to forgo care. Hence, your directive should be as clear as possible.

Making a will involves knowing intimately several complicated legal rules. In most states, if you're married, your spouse has the right to claim a certain amount of your property after your death.

<<Go to top>>

Property Purchasing/Sale Representation

Don't get bogged down in the lengthy, wordy text involved in any purchasing/selling transaction. Whether you are buying or selling, employing a real estate attorney is often a smart move. The law offices of Jorge L. Gonzalez provide the assistance you need to deal with all the paperwork, especially conditions, covenants and restrictions related to any purchasing or selling transaction, and advise you before you sign the contract and supervise the transaction's closing.

<<Go to top>>

Property Closing

Jorge L. Gonzalez P.A. represents buyers, sellers, and lenders at residential and commercial real estate closings. The closing attorney’s primary function is to ensure that ’good title" to the property is being transferred. This involves title research wherein the attorney will examine probate records, surveys, plats, and other legal documents. If there are no defects in the chain of title, the attorney will issue a title insurance policy, guaranteeing a proper title transfer.

This "Lender’s Policy," or "Mortgagee Policy", is required by the mortgage lender. An owner’s policy can be purchased simultaneously at closing, which will protect your interest in the property. Conversely, if defects in the title exist, your closing attorney will attempt to correct the errors, so that a good title can be transferred. Should problems develop during the title examination, the attorney will contact the involved parties as soon as possible, so as to avoid any delay in the scheduled closing date. The second function of the attorney is to make sure that you understand the closing transactions completely. Any questions regarding the closing documents can be referred to the attorney Jorge L. Gonzalez, or his closing staff.

<<Go to top>>

Transfer of Deed

The transfer of deed is best known method of transferring title to real estate from one person to another, often using a warranty deed or a quit claim deed." A new real estate deed is required any time you want to add or remove a person's name from your property title, gift your property to a loved one, or place your property in a living trust, usually a quit claim deed. Preparing, executing, and filing a real estate deed can be time-consuming, but hiring an experienced lawyer in such matter make things very easy. If you are about transfer a deed of your property or properties, Jorge L. Gonzalez has the knowledge and expertise to do.

<<Go to top>>


An eviction is the expulsion of someone (such as a tenant) from the possession of land or property by process of law.

The landlord should start this process by terminating a tenant's right to possession by giving written notice to the tenant. A landlord might do this for a number of reasons -- the number one reason is for nonpayment of rent. Sometimes a landlord may claim the tenant is staying past the agreed lease term ("holding over"). So long as a landlord is not discriminating in violation of the Fair Housing laws, or retaliating in violation of the Florida Property Code, a landlord can refuse to renew a lease for any reason.

If you are a landlord needing back your property, or faced with an eviction you should seriously consider getting advice and assistance from an attorney.

<<Go to top>>


Quick Contact

Name *

Phone *

E-mail *

How did you hear about us? *

How can we help you?

Enter security code

We accept

Visa card Mastercard